Below are various publications from and about the Forest Service published throughout its history.
History of the agency
- Bergoffen, William W. 100 Years of Federal Forestry, 1976. (PDF)
- Highlights in the History of Forest Conservation, 1976.
- History of Smokejumping, 1980. (PDF)
- West, Terry L. "Research in the USDA Forest Service: A Historian's View," 1990. (PDF)
- Steen, Harold K. The Origins of the National Forests: A Centennial Symposium. (PDF)
- West, Terry L. Centennial Mini-Histories of the Forest Service, 1992. (PDF)
- Fedkiw, John. Managing Multiple Uses On National Forests, 1905–1995, 1998 (PDF)
- Williams, Gerald W. The USDA Forest Service: The First Century, 2005. (PDF)
- The Forest Service and The Civilian Conservation Corps: 1933–42, 1986.
- Grosvenor, John R. History of Architecture in USFS, 1999. (PDF)
- LaBau, Vernon J., et al. A History of the Forest Survey in the United States: 1830–2004, June 2007. (PDF)
- Shapiro, Aaron. “SHOOT: Over 100 Years of Forest Service Photography. (PDF)
- Lewis, James G. "The Applicant Is No Gentleman: Women in the Forest Service," 2005 (PDF)
- Hendricks, R. L., and James G. Lewis, “A Brief History of African-Americans and Forests,” International Programs 25 (2006), (PDF)
- Lewis, James G. "'New Faces, Same Old Values': A History of Discrimination in the Forest Service," 2018 (PDF)
- Lewis, James G. and Rachel D. Kline, “'How Great the Gain!': Women and the Forest Service," 2021 (PDF)
Manuals, reports, etc.
- Forest Reserve Manual, 1902. (PDF)
- 1905 Use Book
- Pinchot, Gifford. A Primer of Forestry (Parts I), 1903 and A Primer of Forestry (Parts II), 1905. (PDF)
- Forest Service Circular No. 35 (PDF)
(Portions of Addresses Delivered at the American Forest Congress, Washington, January 2 to 6, 1905.)
- The Use of the National Forests, 1907. (PDF)
- Information Regarding Employment on the National Forests, 1907. (PDF)
- Purchase of Land Under the Weeks Law, 1911. (PDF)
- Graves, Henry S. The Place of Forestry Among Natural Sciences, 1914. (PDF)
- Telephone Construction and Maintenance on the National Forests: Instructions for Forest Officers, 1915. (PDF)
- Trail Construction on the National Forests, 1915. (PDF)
- Graves, Henry S. A Policy of Forestry for the Nation, 1919. (PDF)
- The Handling of Sheep on the National Forests, 1920. (PDF)
- Recreational Development on the Superior NF, ca. 1921. (PDF)
- Eastern and Southern National Forests, 1932.
- Forest Trail Handbook, 1935. (PDF)
- The Trailer Menace, 1935. (PDF)
- CCC Forestry (Part 1) and (Part 2), 1937. (PDF)
- Camp Stoves and Fireplaces, 1937. (PDF)
- The Lookout Cookbook, 1938.
- Bruère, Martha Bensley. Taming Our Forests, 1938. (PDF)
- Bruère, Martha Bensley. What Forests Give, 1938. (PDF)
- Forest Outings by Thirty Foresters, 1940. (PDF)
- Mattoon, Wilbur R. Forest Trees and Forest Regions of the United States, 1940. (PDF)
- National Forest Vacations, 1940.
- New Forest Frontiers (for: Jobs, Permanent Communities, A Stronger Nation), 1941. (PDF)
- Forests and National Prosperity: A Reappraisal of the Forest Situation in the United States, 1948. (PDF)
- Stoeckeler, J. H. and G. W. Jones. Forest Nursery Practice in the Lake States, 1957. (very large PDF)
- Wilderness, 1961. (PDF)
- Your Water Supply and Forests, 1966.
- Backpacking in the National Forest Wilderness...a family adventure, 1969. (PDF)
- Search for Solitude: Our Wilderness Heritage, 1970. (PDF)
- Camping, 1971. (PDF)
- Trees of the Forest: Their Beauty and Use, 1971. (PDF)
- Gray, Gary Craven. Radio for the Fireline: A History of Electronic Communication in the Forest Service, 1905–1975, 1982.
(Originally scanned by the Amateur Radio Fire Lookout Tower Association)