Complete Book List
The Forest History Society has been a leading publisher of forest and conservation history for more than half a century. You can order directly from the Forest History Society's online store or by mail (using the order form [PDF]).
Our 2019 Holiday Sale runs through December 31! Most books are only $1!
- Proceedings of the U.S. Forest Service Centennial Congress: A Collective Commitment to Conservation
Anderson, Steven, ed. 2006. 512 pp. Softcover $24.95.
- View from the Top: Forest Service Research
Arnold, R. Keith, Murlyn B. Dickerman, and Robert E. Buckman. Edited by Harold K. Steen. 1994. xiv + 365 pp. Softcover $13.00.
- Forest Management for All: State and Private Forestry in the U.S. Forest Service
Bramwell, Lincoln. 2013. 103 pp. Softcover $10.95.
- Pathway to Sustainability: Defining the Bounds on Forest Management
Fedkiw, John, Douglas W. MacCleery, and V. Alaric Sample. 2004. vii + 64 pp. Softcover $8.95.
- Lands Worth Saving: The Weeks Act of 1911, the National Forests, and the Enduring Value of Public Investment
Lewis, James G. 2018. 156 pp. Softcover $14.95.
- The Forest Service and The Greatest Good: A Centennial History
Lewis, James G. 2005. 290 pp. Softcover $20.00.
- Tongass Timber: A History of Logging and Timber Utilization in Southeast Alaska
Mackovjak, James. 2010. 386 pp. Softcover $19.95.
- Ground Work: Conservation in American Culture
Miller, Char. 2007. 182 pp. Hardcover $19.95.
- Plantation Forestry in the Amazon: The Jari Experience
Posey, Clayton E., et al. 1997. ix + 281 pp. Softcover: $12.95.
- Common Goals for Sustainable Forest Management
Sample, V. Alaric and Steven Anderson, eds. 2008. xix + 399 pp. Softcover $24.95.
- Cradle of Forestry in America: The Biltmore Forest School
Schenck, Carl Alwin. 2011. Edited by Ovid Butler. Published by the Forest History Society in cooperation with the Cradle of Forestry in America Interpretive Association and the Forest Service History Program. xv + 224 pp. Softcover $14.95.
- Millicoma: Biography of a Pacific Northwestern Forest
Smyth, Art. 2000. xix + 145 pp. Softcover $12.95.
- The Chiefs Remember: The Forest Service, 1952-2001
Steen, Harold K. 2005. Hardcover $29.00, Softcover $20.00.
- The Conservation Diaries of Gifford Pinchot
Steen, Harold K., editor. 2001. 230 pp. Hardcover $29.00.
- Forest and Wildlife Science in America: A History
Steen, Harold K., editor. 1999. 455 pp. Softcover $14.95.
- Forest Service Research: Finding Answers to Conservation's Questions
Steen, Harold K. 1998. v + 102 pp. Softcover $10.95.
- The U.S. Forest Service: A History
Steen, Harold K. 2004. xvi + 356 pp. Hardcover $30.00, Softcover $20.00.
- Jack Ward Thomas: The Journals of a Forest Service Chief
Thomas, Jack Ward. 2011. Edited by Harold K. Steen. 417 pp. Softcover $20.00.
- Forest Aesthetics
von Salish, Heinrich. 2008. Translated by Walter L. Cook Jr. and Doris Wehlau. 400 pp. Softcover $24.95.
- Genetically Modified Forests: From Stone Age to Modern Biotechnology
Burdon, Rowland D. and William J. Libby. 2006. 79 pp. Softcover $9.95.
- Canada's Forests: A History
Drushka, Ken. 2003. viii + 97 pp. Softcover $9.95.
- Forest Sustainability: The History, the Challenge, the Promise
Floyd, Donald W. 2002. x + 83 pp. Softcover $9.95.
- Forest Pharmacy: Medicinal Plants in American Forests
Foster, Steven. 1995. vi + 57 pp. Softcover $9.95.
- American Forests: A History of Resiliency and Recovery
MacCleery, Douglas W. 2012. 65 pp. Softcover $9.95.
- Wood for Bioenergy: Forests as a Resource for Biomass and Biofuels
Mendell, Brooks and Amanda Hamsley Lang. 2012. 77 pp. Softcover $9.95.
- America's Fires: A Historical Context for Policy and Practice
Pyne, Stephen J. 2010. xvii + 93 pp. Softcover $9.95.
- Newsprint: Canadian Supply and American Demand
Roach, Thomas R. 1994. vii + 56 pp. Softcover $9.95.
- America's Forested Wetlands: From Wasteland to Valued Resource
Stine, Jeffrey K. 2008. 96 pp. Softcover $9.95.
- Bringing in the Wood: The Way It Was at Chesapeake Corporation
Buxton, Mary Wakefield. 1999. 187 pp. Hardcover $29.95, Softcover $19.95.
- Forestry in the U.S. South: A History
Carter, Mason C., Robert C. Kellison, and R. Scott Wallinger. 2015. Published by LSU Press and the Forest History Society. 448 pp. Hardcover $65.00.
- Corks and Suspenders: Memoir of an Early Forester
Hagenstein, William D. 2010. Softcover $18.95.
- The Duke Forest at 75: A Resource for All Seasons
Lynch, Ida Phillips. Office of the Duke Forest, 2006. Softcover $21.95.
- A Hard Road to Travel: Land, Forests, and People in the Upper Athabasca Region
Murphy, Peter J., et al. 2007. Published by the Foothills Model Forest and the Forest History Society. 306 pp., 154 photographs, maps. Hardcover $29.95, Softcover $19.95.
- Bernhard Eduard Fernow: A Story of North American Forestry
Rodgers, Andrew Denny, III. 1991. xii + 623 pp. Hardcover $21.95.
- George S. Long: Timber Statesman
Twining, Charles E. 1994. 414 pp. Hardcover $19.99