Worksheet 5: Diagram Analysis
Read the Forest Succession handout to answer the following questions.
- List the species present you find on an abandoned farm in stage 3.
- One species competes most successfully on abandoned Massachusetts agricultural sites in the first 80 years. Name that species.
- What conditions favor the sprouting of trees like beech, maple and oak?
- Using the forest succession diagram, in what successional stage do you think Harvard Forest would have been in 1907 when the research forest was created?
- In what stage would it be now?