Forest History Society Resources and Bibliography
The Forest History Society has an extensive collection of agency documents, journal articles, reports, books, photographs and newsclippings on topics relating to forest history and environmental history more broadly. The following resources were used to compile the chronology on states' rights. Please contact our collections staff for more information about these and other Forest History Society resources.
- "Catron County, NM Leads a Nasty Revolt Over Eco-Protection," Wall Street Journal, January 3, 1995.
- "Department of Agriculture Views on Land Ownership and the National Interest" address to American Forest Products Industries Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C., October 30, 1964, by John A. Baker, Assistant Secretary of Agriculture.
- "Draft Report Concerning Transfer of Western National Forest System Lands to State Ownership, as Proposed by S. 1680" by Policy Analysis Staff Group, U.S. Forest Service (ca. 1980).
- "Draft Working Material Concerning the Sagebrush Rebellion" by U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Policy Analysis Staff Group.
- Forest Service Daily News Digest, December 1, 1980.
- January 15, 1995 op-ed, The Oregonian newspaper.
- Memo to Forest Service Chief Jack Ward Thomas from Deputy Assistant General Counsel, Natural Resources Division, James B. Snow, March 9, 1994.
- "Mid-Century Conference on Resources for the Future" transcript from speech by Robert W. Sawyer, Bend, Oregon, December 2, 1953.
- "Public Forest for Sale" North American Hunter News Update, July/August 1984.
- "Public Lands and the Job Ahead" speech by Richard F. Droege, Regional Forester, Eastern Region, at Fifth Forest Congress, Washington, D.C., October 27-30, 1963.
- "Public Lands, States' Rights, and the National Forests" by Dennis M. Roth, The Forest Service History Line, Fall 1980 (History Section, USDA-FS).
- "Reagan's 'Privatization' Plan Founders" by Tom McAllister, The Oregonian, May 1, 1983.
- "A Report on the County Movement, with Emphasis on Its Activities in New Mexico" Southwest Environmental Center, September 30, 1992.
- "Skeptics in the West Hear Case for U.S. Land Sales" by William E. Schmidt, New York Times, March 21, 1983.
- "They're Fixing to Steal Your Land" by Ted Trueblood, Field and Stream (ca. 1980).
- "Thoughts on Ownership of America's Public Lands" by Chief of the Forest Service, Jack Ward Thomas, before the Outdoor Writers Association of America, Chattanooga, TN, June 26, 1995.
- Transcript of speech given by Laurence F. Lee, President, Chamber of Commerce of the United States, to National Lumber Manufacturer's Association, November 13, 1952.
- "The Whole Story" by Robert W. Sawyer, reprinted from March 1953 American Forests.