Inventory of the Terry Sellers, Jr. Papers, 1958 – 2010
Abstract: Terry Sellers Jr. (b. 1938) is an Emeritus Professor of wood science and technology who spent a good part of his career studying the chemistry of adhesives used in producing wood composites and laminates. He served as Professor of Forest Products at Mississippi State University from 1980 to 2004. He was a private consultant (Seltech) from 1980 to 2012. He is the author of many professional publications as well as two volumes of family history.
The collection includes publications and related research materials by professor Terry Sellers Jr.
Title: Terry Sellers, Jr. Papers, 1958 - 2010
Creator: Sellers, Terry Jr.
Repository: Forest History Society Library and Archives
Call Number: 2012-002
Language of Material: Material in English
Extent: 4.0 linear ft. (4 boxes, 2 volumes)
Terry Sellers Jr. was born Sept. 26, 1938 in Quinton, Alabama, the son of Terry and Lillian Nora (Gilchrist) Sellers. He served as Director of Quality Control for Koppers Company, Inc. in Morrisville, North Carolina, from 1962 to 1965, and Manager of Marketing for Reichhold Chemicals, Tuscaloosa, Alabama, from 1965 to 1980. From 1980 to 2004 in addition to his teaching and research at Mississippi State University he served as a consultant (1980-2012) in technology transfer, marketing analysis, and general topics for forest products companies, supplier industries, United Nations agencies, international universities and legal firms. He was also a contributing writer for Panel World trade journal.
The collection includes publications and related research materials by professor Terry Sellers Jr. dating from 1958 to 2005.
- Publications, research papers, and other materials
- Composite materials.
- Forest products.
- Forest products -- United States.
- Gums and resins.
- United States.
- Wood -- Chemistry.
- Wood -- Research.
Detailed Description of the Collection
1. Publications, research papers, and other materials, 1958-2010.
- Volume 1
Publications of Terry Sellers, Jr. 1958-1999
- Volume 2
Publications of Terry Sellers, Jr. 1995-2000
- Box 1
- 1. Biographical Information (including resume of Terry Sellers, Jr. 09/2010)
- 2. Sellers, Terry. "A Plywood Review and its Chemical Implications." pp. IN Goldstein, Irving S., ed. Wood Technology Chemical Aspects. Washington, D.C.: American Chemical Society, 1977. pp. 270-282.
- 3. "Modifications of Phenolic Resin with Organosolv Lignins and Evaluation of Strandboards made by the Resin as Binder." Doctoral Dissertation of Terry Sellers, U. of Tokyo, Japan. 1993. 148 p.
- 4. Sellers, Terry. "Gluing of Eastern Hardwoods: A Review" USDA Forest Service bulletin, 1988.
- 5. Sellers, Terry, ed. Resin-Adhesive Research for Wood Composites, Mississippi State /Forest Products Laboratory, 1990.
- 6. Sellers, Terry, ed. Lignin-Adhesive Research for Wood Composites, Mississippi State /Forest Products Laboratory, 1995.
- 7. Books listing
- 8. Bibliography listings
- 9. Consulting / List of companies consulted for
- 10. Forest Products Research Society Officers Directories, 1981-82, 1982-83, 1983-84, and 1984-85.
- 11. Correspondence
- 12. Journal Articles
- a. Koppers News, Avenue of the Poles. November 1962.
- b. The News Bag, Gulf States Paper Corporation. Volume XXXVI, May-June 1970.
- c. Chemtech, The Inventors Magazine, October 1979. Plywood: From forest to 4x8, p622.
- d. Plywood and Panel, October 1981. Pictured p28.
- e. Forest Products Journal, May 1983. Feature story on Terry Sellers, p6.
- f. Gluing Structural Plywood from Medium-Density Southern Hardwoods, T.Sellers Jr, J.R.McSween. Forest Products Utilization Laboratory at Mississippi State University, December 1983.
- g. Plywood. Entry by Terry Sellers, Jr. reprinted from Encyclopedia of Materials Science and Engineering, 1986.
- h. Panel World, Veneer/Plywood/Composites, September 1990. Survey Reveals Use of Lignins as Partial Substitute for Phenol, p26.
- i. AdhesiveAge, October 1992. Wood Ahesive Market Builds a Promising Future on a Profitable Past, p22.
- j. Mokuzai Gakkaishi, Journal of the Japan Wood Research Society, Volume 40, No.10, 1994. Organosolv Lignin-Modified Phenolics as Standard Binder I and II, p1073 and 1079. Articles are in English.
- k. Adhesives in the Wood Industry. Entry by Terry Sellers, Jr. reprinted Handbook of Adhesive Technology, 1994.
- l. Crow's Forest Industry Journal, Volume 10, Number 4. October 1995. New Developments in Wood Adhesives & Gluing Processes in North America, p20.
- m. Crow's Forest Industry Journal, Volume 10, Number 5. December 1995. New Developments in Wood Adhesives & Gluing Processes in North America, Part 2, p22.
- n. Crow's Forest Industry Journal, Volume 11, Number 1. May 1996. New Developments in Wood Adhesives & Gluing Processes in North America, Part 3, p13.
- o. Wood Technology, May/June 2000. Growing Markets for Engineered Products Spurs Research, p40.
- p. Wood Adhesive Innovations and Applications in North America. Excerpt from Forest Products Journal, Volume 51, Number 6, June 2001.
- q. Excerpt from Panel World, Veneer/Plywood/Composites, September 2003. Part II: Exciting Times for LVL and Plywood in Australia, Terry Sellers, Consultant.
- Box 2
- 1. Papers and PPT slides, 2000.
- a. Composite Wood and Agri-Fiber Products, Adhesive Innovation and Production of North American Glued-Wood and Related Products, Theory Meets Practice.
- 2. Structural Wood Composites: New Technologies for Expanding Markets, Proceedings 47359. Forest Products Research Society, 1988. Booklet, page 43 article by Terry Sellers, Modifying Phenolic Adhesives with Lignin. Correspondence with Forest Products Research Society re article also included.
- 3. Japan, plywood overview and market analysis (comprehensive) 1993
- 4. Japanese Evaluation, 1994. Letter and Evaluations (majority in Japanese). Copy of Adhesives Age, July 1994. , Terry Sellers, Jr. Comparing Japanese and American Glues Wood Adhesives, p35.
- 5. Teltec Reports 1-12, 1995-1996
- 6. Tannin, 1975-1999
- a. Consulting, correspondence, articles, etc, 1975-1999
- 7. Tannin Brazil/Argentina, 1997
- a. Reports
- 8. Bakelite 2001-2002
- a. Consulting, correspondence, articles, etc.
- 9. Chile 1996-2003
- a. Consulting, correspondence, etc.
- 10. Asia Plywood vs. Wilhelm Mende GmbH, 1996
- a. Report, 1996
- 11. Koppers, 1987
- a. Review of resins for binding wood, consulting, 1987
- 12. Wood Technologists
- a. 1972 Speech "Are wood technologists employable"
- b. Correspondence through 2003
- 13. Quimicos Coronel S.A.
- a. Review of Plywood Operating conditions and Adhesive Resin Costs, 1990
- b. Consulting, Report on Resin Adhesives for North American OSB and MDF industries, 1994
- 14. Allied Signal, 1992
- a. Consulting, Wood composites in North America and Adhesive Opportunities, 1992
- 15. Weyco/Borden Chemical, 1984
- a. Report re OSB plant, 1984
- 16. Resin Usage Calculations
- a. Articles and remarks
- 17. Gravity, Moisture Content, and Density Relationship for Wood
- a. Calculations, charts, paper, 1961-1993
- 18. Relative Comparison of Components Influencing Wood-Adhesive Bonding
- a. Notes and some reference
- 19. Wood Import and Quarantine, 2003
- a. Wood Import and Quarantine, 2003
- 20. Disposal of Wood Composites, 1990
- a. Notes, Articles on EPA standards, 1990
- 21. Masonite Research, 1981-1988
- 22. Forest Products Research Society, 1978
- a. Journal, articles, correspondence
- 23. Forest and Wildlife Research Center Mississippi Forest Products Laboratory Status Report, 1998
- 24. Wood Adhesives Overview
- 25. Weyerhaeuser Company, Survey of Adhesive Grade Blood, 1981
- 26. Wood Adhesive Problem solving, short course 2001
- 27. RTU Adhesives, 2001
- a. Seminar/comprehensive overview as well as in depth materials
- 28. Recent Developments in Thermosetting Wood Adhesives
- a. Presentation and supporting materials, background, 1989
- 1. Papers and PPT slides, 2000.
- Box 3
- 29. Grants, research proposals and rejected proposals, 1996
- 30. Marketing-Development Opportunities for 3-Methylcatechol, 1995
- 31. Plywood and OSB, Waxes and Tool Wear articles and data sheets, 1985-1996
- 32. Adhesion in the Wood Industry, full lecture transparencies.
- 33. Wood Products Industry Review, Milliken & Company Consultation Report, 1992.
- 34. Phenolic Adhesives for Wood Products, DYNO Industries, A.S. Chemicals Group Consultation Report, 1991.
- 35. Correspondence with Peter Engelbert (CSR Wood Panels, Australia) regarding Bondtite Wattle Tannin, 1995.
- 36. Consulting Reports, 1989, including reports for West Point Pepperell for "Evaluation of West Point Pepperell's
- Formaldehyde Scavenger (FSD-2) for Urea Formaldehyde Resins Used to Bond Southern Pine Particleboard".
- 37. RCI (Reichhold Chermicals Inc)
- 38. Extenders for the Plywood Industry, report, 1980
- 39. Starch Possibilities in Plywood Adhesives, report, 1979
- 40. Accepted Proposals, Articles etc. 1977-1984
- 41. Accepted Proposals, Articles etc. 1985-1986
- 42. Accepted Proposals, Articles etc. 1986-1988
- Box 4
- 43. Accepted Proposals, Articles etc. 1989-1990
- 44. Accepted Proposals, Articles etc. 1991-1994
- 45. Accepted Proposals, Articles etc. 1994-1996
- 46. Accepted Proposals, Articles etc. 1997-1998
- 47. Accepted Proposals, Articles etc. 1998-2000
- 48. Accepted Proposals, Articles etc. 2000-2003
- 49. Panel World articles by T. Sellers, 1987-2004
- 50. Cost and Capacity, misc. materials.
The nature of the Forest History Society's archival holdings means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. The Forest History Society claims only physical ownership of most archival materials.
The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. Copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.
[Identification of item], Terry Sellers Jr. Papers, Library and Archives, Forest History Society, Durham, NC, USA.
Received from Terry Sellers Jr. in October 2013.
Processed by Margaret Stebelton, January 2015
Encoded by Eben Lehman, February 2015
Support for digitization and outreach provided by the Alvin J. Huss Endowment.