Worksheet 2: Essay Analysis
Read the essay to answer the questions below.
- List 3 common uses for wood in America before the advent of the Industrial Revolution.
- Describe how the rapid increase in the population of the United States during the latter half of the nineteenth century affected American forests.
- How did steamboats place a strain on American forests during the nineteenth century?
- What role did the economic principles of supply and demand play in the amount of wood used during the American Industrial Revolution?
- Provide two examples of how technology helped to conserve forests during the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. Supply evidence to support your two examples.
- Explain how the nickname "iron road" could be considered a misleading description of nineteenth-century American railroads.
- Compare and contrast forest products of the past in the United States with modern goods derived from trees.