Worksheet 2: Essay Analysis
Read the essay to answer the questions below.
- List 3 ways Native Americans used fire as a forest management tool.
- How did European explorers describe the forests of North America? How did poets and other people of the 19th century describe them? Why was there such a difference between the two descriptions?
- Why do historians face such a challenge when attempting to answer questions surrounding early Native American life?
- How did Native Americans utilize forest resources in their architecture?
- Explain why a disruption in the social structure and everyday practices of many Native American tribes occurred soon after contact with Europeans.
- What are two pieces of evidence historians can use to support the claim that prehistoric people living in North America did have a substantial impact on the environment?
- How could the debate about the population in the Americas before European contact affect the conclusions scholars draw about the impact Native Americans had on the environment?