Worksheet 2: Essay Analysis
Read the essay "A New Profession Takes Seed" to answer the questions below.
- Why was there a need for a profession of forestry at the beginning of the 20th century?
- How has the Forest Service changed from its beginning in 1905 to present-day?
- When the government decided to create forest reserves in 1891 what needed to be done to ensure this land was managed properly?
- Describe the changes Gifford Pinchot made to the government agency created to manage national forests.
- Based on figure 4 during what period of time did the biggest increase in employees of the Forest Service occur? Why do you think this was the case?
- What were some of the actions early conservationists took to alert the public to the devastating effects of development on the environment?
- What role did industry play in the prevention of the timber famine predicted by early conservationists?
- Besides working for The U.S. Forest Service, or some other government agency, what are some other employment opportunities available for trained foresters?