Database Field Structure
FHS designed its Image
Database based on the field structure outlined by the Dublin
Core Metadata Initiative, an organization
that supports shared metadata design and best practices. Below are listed the fields included in the FHS image catalog,
corresponding Dublin Core field names (if applicable), and information about
the way FHS formats data within each field.
- Image Scan Location:
Physical storage location of scanned image. Corresponds to Dublin Core "Identifier"
- Thumbnail Location:
Physical storage location of scanned thumbnail.
- Thumbnail2 Location:
Physical storage location of smaller thumbnail2 image created as a by-product
of creating photo galleries in Adobe Photoshop.
- Tiff Location:
Physical storage location of scanned .tif image.
- Scan Properties:
Resolution and pixel limitation of various versions of scanned images.
- Image Title:
Brief title describing image content. Corresponds to Dublin Core "Title"
- Image Caption:
Full caption of image. Corresponds to Dublin Core "Description"
- Image Date:
Date photo taken. Corresponds to Dublin Core "Date" field.
- Subjects: Time
frame; geographic location; persons or organizations; and other general
subject information represented in the image content. Pull information from
caption and title of photo, from folder heading title under which photo
is filed, and from a visual check of photograph. Has a validation list that
may be updated by data entry person override. Corresponds to Dublin Core
"Coverage" field and Dublin Core "Subject" field.
- Type of View:
Record whether action, exterior, or interior shot; landscape scene or portrait
(individual or group); landscape or portrait orientation. Has a validation
list that may be updated by data entry person override.
- Formats and Sizes:
Information about (1) number and size of original images and negatives,
and (2) whether images are black/white or color (i.e., 4" x 5"
negative -- 2 copies; 3" x 5" B/W print -- 2 copies; 5" x
7" color print; etc.). Corresponds to Dublin Core "Relation"
- Copyright Holder:
FHS uses: "Forest History Society", "Public Domain",
or "[unknown]". Corresponds to Dublin Core "Rights"
"Lastname, Firstname MiddleName". If photographer's employer commissioned
the photo, include name of employer (i.e., "Jones, Bill, for the U.S.
Forest Service"). Corresponds to Dublin Core "Creator" field.
- USFS Negative Number: FHS uses "U.S. Forest Service photo -- negative number X" (replacing "X" with the actual number or leaving the entire field empty if the image is not a U.S. Forest Service photograph.)
- Credit Line: Suggested credit line. FHS uses "Photo courtesy of the Forest History Society, Durham, N.C." or a variation thereof (i.e. "American Forest Products Institute photo courtesy of the Forest History Society, Durham, N.C.").
- Remarks: Remarks or notes about the condition of the original images (i.e., tears, poor image quality, caption taped to back of photo, negative numbers, crop markings, etc.).
- Catalog Date: Date catalog record created (i.e., "12/3/2001").
- Cataloged By: Cataloger's initials.
- Updated: Most recent date edits were made to a record (i.e., "9/14/2000").
- Updated By: Initials of the cataloger making updates to the record.
- Image ID: Unique image identifier number.
- Location of Original: Physical filing location of the original image (i.e., building, file cabinet drawer, folder heading, etc.)
- Collection Name: Name of the photograph or manuscript/archival collection of which image is a part. Corresponds to Dublin Core "Publisher" field (in conjunction with Repository -- "Repository. Collection Name").
- Repository: Name of repository that holds the image. Corresponds to Dublin Core "Publisher" field (in conjunction with Collection Name -- "Repository. Collection Name").
- Repository Address:
Mailing address of holding repository.