Alvin J. Huss Endowment
J. Huss (1904-1998), longtime friend and benefactor of the Forest History
Society, contributed to many Society programs and projects over
the years. It was mainly due to his efforts that the Society was
able to double the size of its building when FHS headquarters moved
from California to Durham, North Carolina, in 1984.
With a background in the forest
products industry, Mr. Huss wanted to ensure the preservation of important
records and photographs that documented the industry's history. He also
realized that it was equally important to improve access to those records
for researchers, so he provided financial support for FHS archival collecting
and management efforts. The Society's archives
is named in his honor, and his contributions continue today in the form
of the Alvin J. Huss Endowment for Digitization
In the year 2000 the Huss Foundation
of St. Paul, Minnesota, made an endowment pledge to FHS of $1 million
in honor of Alvin Huss to further the digitization and outreach of the
Society's Alvin J. Huss Archives. The digitization program supports the
creation of digital versions of selected collections from our archives
that will be exhibited through our web site. The initial phase of the
project is already underway and has resulted in the digitization and cataloging
of thousands of images from the Society's collection of over 25,000 historic
photographs. Digitization of collections benefits our patrons by increasing
their level of access to our materials, while allowing our staff to provide
a higher level of efficient reference assistance.
To contribute to the Alvin
J. Huss Endowment, make your check payable to the Forest History Society
and mail to:
Alvin J. Huss
Forest History Society
701 William Vickers Avenue
Durham, NC 27701-3162.
Please contact Steven Anderson, FHS President, for more information.
Telephone: (919) 682-9319. Fax: (919) 682-2349.